PMI Malaysia Webinar: Bridging the Gap Between Organisational Strategy and Benefits Delivery
Bridging the Gap Between Organisational Strategy and Benefits Delivery
23 Sept 2021 (9.00 PM to 10.00 PM Malaysia)
Anand Vijayakumar is a seasoned IT Program & Portfolio Manager who holds multiple professional certifications and credentials in the field of project management. Throughout his career, he has handled multiple large & complex programs and projects and delivered business value in diverse and challenging circumstances. He is the author of the Program Management Professional (PgMP) handbook, which is the first of its kind study guide and handbook that aims to support program managers on their journey toward the PgMP credential and also delivery exceptional business benefits & results. He is also a speaker, certification coach with PMI Singapore Chapter, mentor for project managers, and career coach for students.
During your day-job, have you ever been in a situation where you have come across any or all of the situations highlighted below?
- Senior executives are unhappy that, even though the various projects that were initiated finished successfully,
the benefits & business value that were intended were never achieved
- Business stakeholders feel that the benefits delivered by projects are not aligned to their roadmap and feel that the organizational spending on these projects is not worthwhile
- Project team members are more focused on executing the “Plan” and resisting change, rather than try to understand the reason the project exists or why the user is requesting the change, and what would be the tangible benefits the company would realize as a result?
- Programs & Portfolios are vehicles for organizations to realize their strategic objectives and goals. As the industry shifts from just delivery of projects and programs to a more value-driven and benefits-oriented model, program management acts as a key piece in the puzzle that allows organizations to extract the most business value & benefits from a group of related initiatives that are managed as one program.
The biggest reason why strategic programs fail is due to the strategy execution gap, where the people executing the strategy don’t understand “Why” we are doing this or “Where” we are going with this. Every strategic program (or portfolio) needs one individual that bridges this strategy execution gap, who leads the initiative towards success by keeping the team focused on the end goals at all times.
- Senior Executives & Business Leaders will understand:
- Why it is important to have initiatives aligned to your organizational strategy at all times
- How to introduce structured management of related initiatives with a focus on benefits realization
- Program and Project Managers will learn:
- The shortcomings of trying to manage a large program like a project based on a predefined “Plan”
- Focus on benefit realization rather than output delivery
- How Program management can bridge the strategy execution gap
- An overview of the “Strategy Alignment” performance domain of PMI’s Standard for Program Management
- All Participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the need for, and the value proper program management adds to an organizations pursuit of strategic goals
- Differentiate between delivering outputs and delivering business benefits aligned to organizational strategy
- Understand the basic program management concepts, as outlined in PMI’s Standard for Program Management
- Get an idea of what the PMI’s PgMP Credential is, and how to pursue the same if you wish to do so.
Program managers, project managers, business leaders, IT Managers